RichC

I'm just a little cleavage monkey

6.06.2005

"I felt something, a disturbance in the network, as if a million mac zealots cried out in horror and were suddenly silenced"

Apple announced today that they have been planning a migration for the last 5 years to an Intel chipset. This gives Apple cheaper and faster chips than what IBM has been producing for them. Also, I would supposed that the cost to build the machines will drop since Apple will be using "standardized" silicon vs the low volume chip.

But Apple has poked fun of Intel in the past (link to ad.) And Mac loyalists can be freakier than Anglophiles so I'm sure the boards will be heating up tonight (Shotgun Wedding?) But it should only mean good things for those of us holding APPL stock, or who might otherwise have a vested interest in the company's health.

I'm just happier about this than the whole Adobe/Macromedia thing. This should mean an end to the PC only software that has been a hurdle from the begining.

9 Comments:

  • At 4:48 PM, Blogger Ubermilf said…

    What does this mean to the Mac-a-loompas? Will they be put out on the street?

     
  • At 4:53 PM, Blogger GingerSnaps said…

    um, when you said mac-a-loompas..I was looking for some demented charlie-and-the-chocolate-factory
    rejects..oh I am so confused now

     
  • At 4:56 PM, Blogger Ubermilf said…

    Yes, Lilred. Only they work in the magical computer factory.

     
  • At 5:11 PM, Blogger GingerSnaps said…

    did underhills midgets go work for apple? I think im missing something here.

     
  • At 5:26 PM, Blogger Ubermilf said…

    I'm just passing geek info to Nick. That's about it. But I like the Underhill/Midget tie in.

     
  • At 5:42 PM, Blogger Fella said…

    Oh good god. It wasn't just 45 minutes ago I was having a delighful conversation with a customer about the glory that is the G5 processor. Motorolla has been making the best damn processors so why would Apple move the iBook to an IBM chipset?

    My sources tell me that the chipset in question is a 90nm PowerPC 750VX and it will be built on the carcass of the old G3 processors, with additional power managment features and additional pipeline stages.

    Sounds OK to me, I'm not one of those anti-MS, anti-Intel zealots that will burn a Dell in effigy, but I am slightly frightened by this news.

     
  • At 7:26 PM, Blogger UberDILF said…

    This isn't any different then when they switched from the Motorola chips years ago. The applications all provided upgrade options for those still had the older chips and options for those who had the newer IBM Power PC chips.

    Fear not Nick, the omniscient Jobs will lead us on!

     
  • At 10:10 PM, Blogger GingerSnaps said…

    everytime I see a midget I will forever think of underhill...

     
  • At 1:25 PM, Blogger Fella said…

Post a Comment

<< Home